Babygirlz (Web) Magazine

The idea for Babygirlz was born in 2003 when I was in constant contact with a young lady that was very close to me at the time. She was going through a tough time with life's growing pains and there seemed to be no end in sight for her. She had a lot of turmoil in her family life, problems with focusing on school, feelings of inadequacy, etc. Since I was a person she confided in, I felt compelled to take her under my wing. I kept her as close to me as I could while becoming a mentor, of sorts, for her.

During that time, I was a college student and often took her with me to class to get her used to the idea of higher education and the diligence that went along with it. However, nothing could pull her from the road she was so determined to succumb to.

Year after year, she and I would connect on some level and at times I really thought I was finally getting through to her. I made several attempts over time to ensure that she always felt good about herself, to let her know that she is destined for greatness because God places none of us "here" for mediocrity.

I placed actions behind my words by introducing her to certain areas of life previously not visited. I sometimes took her to my job, taught her software programs, and discussed work ethic with her. I even talked at length with her about the lack of options available when education is not something possessed. After so many years of resistance from her, I came to realize that all the talking in the world would not heal the hurt she was living with. She'd endured a lot in her life and had internalized it for so long that: 1) Either I could not reach her, or 2) I had to find new ways to increase the chances of reaching her. I opted for the latter, and in the process, began thinking about all the other girls in the same situation who may or may not have the same support in their lives; yet could use it, and the idea for Babygirlz was born.

Although I don't feel I succeeded in helping bring her into her true self, I honestly think that just being there when she needed me to talk to or to see her through whatever transition in life she was engaged in at the moment, made a difference. I am still very much a part of her life to this day and I will continue to do what I can to help her as she journeys through.

The primary goal for Babygirlz will be to provide a safe haven, and an outlet of sorts, for young women who feel that they need/want a guide for those parts of life that are baffling, hard to handle, or even unfamiliar to them.


5 Comments:

  1. Barbara said...
    The support that you were able to give "her" I am sure went further than you think. Often we just need to know that at the end of the day, there is at least one person who believes in us, even if we do not yet believe in ourselves. Its beautiful that you never washed your hands clean of her, which happens when you feel that you've done all that you can do. And its also beautiful that you realized that we can always do more than we think we can do.

    Again, I am looking forward to being a part of a great movement for young girlz.
    Babygirlz Magazine said...
    You are going to be such a wonderful contribution to these young girlz and I can't wait for us to get into FULL swing! We are on our way :-)
    ajgallion said...
    I look forward to following what appears to be a very good resource for young women!
    Radical Selfie said...
    You know you have my full support for this long-overdue resource! Together, we can nurture our Babygirlz into Execumamas, for those who choose to go the mommy route. For those who don't, we can offer our experience in launching wildly successful business like yours and mine will be :)
    Babygirlz Magazine said...
    Your support means so much! And some of our girlz are already mamas...this is for them too! We have so much work to do, but I am so ready and can't wait. Execumamas and Babygirlz; we are going to have a new wave of wonder women :-)

Post a Comment