Why for Black Girls?

As we get closer to launching, I thought it would be a good time to address this issue. Why? Because the question has already been posed by a few. Did I initially feel that I needed to answer the question? No, I didn't. Why? Because I felt it was within my right to want a publication that spoke to the struggles we, as Black women endure, on our chase to metamorphosis. Do I feel that we are the only ones to have said struggles? No, I do not. I do recognize that a lot of what we go through as women, as people, cross culture lines. However, because of the triple "threat" of gender, race, and class, our struggles are already far removed from being compared to those of others.

Now. Let me say this. If, at some point, I am approached by young women of other nationalities, who feel that their life is a fit for Babygirlz, I will NOT turn them away and will, in fact, welcome them to the fold.

Speaking from the heart, I wish for EVERY girl to succeed. I realize that we are all reared in different ways, there are actions of people that we know (and sometimes not) whom we imitate and base our lives around, there are men (and sometimes women) who we place on higher plateaus than ourselves - and in the process forget ourselves. Then we are left at a point of trying to figure out WHO and WHY we are.

The scenarios are limitless.

Nevertheless, the goal of Babygirlz is to provide as many tools and resources that will allow for an easier/clearer roadmap to the WHO and WHY, based on that young woman's character...and not the character of someone else. Strength, confidence, self-love are just some of what will emerge from this relationship and we proudly step up to the challenge.

3 Comments:

  1. Don said...
    Traci equal Grown Woman.

    the goal of Babygirlz is to provide as many tools and resources that will allow for an easier/clearer roadmap to the WHO and WHY, based on that young woman's character...and not the character of someone else.

    Law.
    Babygirlz Magazine said...
    "From the bottom of my hear...Thank you, Don".
    Barbara said...
    YES! Tell it from the mountain tops =).

Post a Comment